Monday, March 18, 2013

Marvelous Mondays: Character Inspired Look

Hey babes! Yet another Marveloussss Monday to share with you! This week's challenge was to come up with a look inspired by a fictional character!

If you're new to the blog, here's the idea behind Marvelous Monday:
"Our philosophy: Monday is nobody’s favorite day of the week, but maybe its terrible reputation is a little undeserved. We’re on a mission to make ours (and hopefully yours) a little less awful by dressing marvelously!"

There are currently 5 of us participating in the challenges, so make sure to check out the other ladies' looks! I've posted links at the bottom of this entry for your perusal.

I was torn between two choices for who I wanted to draw influence from. In one corner was Katniss Everdeen, the extremely kick-ass hero from The Hunger Games trilogy. In the other corner was Julia Houston from the TV show, Smash. In the end I went with Julia! Her wardrobe on the show has always appealed to me. Her standard look is usually soft, flowy fabrics, some tall booties, some earth-toned jewelry, all topped off with a scarf and her little nerd glasses. In a way I feel like I'm almost cheating-- she's really only about three degrees west from the way I dress normally.





images found through some google searching from fabsugar.com.


But it'd be remiss of me if I didn't point out that it's not just this character's artistic fashion sense that appeals to me. Her character on the show is a strong, stubborn, beautiful lady writer. She loves music and is passionate about her art. And she's not afraid to take risks! Love her.









Well, what do you guys think? Did I pull it off?



colorblocked hi-lo dress, ross. cream cardigan, target. triangle scarf, thrifted. dome ring, cato. stacked booties, ebay.



Don't forget to check out these lovely ladies!

Cheri at Cheri'z Angel and Style Luvin
Jocelyn at Fat, Fashionable, and Feminist
Sarah at The Ridiculous Sort
Sian at Sort Life Out, Buy Milk

8 comments:

  1. I've never personally seen the show, but you look super cute. I love the coral at the bottom of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you like musicals, you should check it out. It's sort of like the grown-up version of Glee. I don't really care for Glee, actually, LOL! But I love Smash. :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, never seen this show, but I love Debra Messing! I think you've really captured the character from the pictures in this outfit. There's a very arty, girly, boho vibe to your outfit that I really like. The boots and scarf in particular are fab. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She is FAB on Smash, she's definitely my favorite character. I might be a little ginger-biased though, HA! <3

      Delete
  3. I've never seen the show, either, but you look fab! I love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the show, actually! But I think you did great, and that dress is amazing! I mean, I've fallen head-over-heels for a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this look! The boots are very cool with the dress, and the scarf adds a night touch!!

    Cassie
    http://stylecassentials.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete